The defining feature of martensitic stainless steels is their ability to be hardened by heat treatment. When hardened and tempered, these grades attain high levels of resistance – essential to achieving a good cutting
edge. This characteristic, combined with their excellent corrosion resistance, make martensitic stainless steel the material of choice for many applications.
The Martensitic Formula
Comprised of 0.1% carbon and 10.5 to 17% chromium, martensitic stainless steel is mainly used for tooling, cutting tools and springs.
For kitchen knife blades and utensils used in food preparation, we recommend either the MA3M grade, which contains molybdenum, or the MA5 grade, which has a high chromium content. Both options offer improved corrosion resistance and the possibility of obtaining high levels of hardness in the hardened and tempered condition.
- High mechanical properties at room temperature: higher than those of austenitics, ferritics and duplex and similar to those of engineering steels
- High carbon grades offer excellent hardness and wear resistance
- Good creep resistance
- Higher stiffness than titanium and aluminium alloys, similar to that of other steels
- Moderate to good corrosion resistance
- Thermal conductivity up to twice that of austenitic stainless steels
- Thermal expansion coefficient about 2/3 of that of austenitic stainless steels
- Blades for knives and various utensils for food preparation
- Blades for industrial equipment
- Cutting tools
- Mechanical parts and other tools
Our MA5 Grade
A ‘cutting edge’ technology for knife blades.
The cutlery and kitchen utensils market uses Aperam’s MA5 grade of stainless steel to manufacture knife blades and other cutting tools. MA5 is infused with 16% chromium content and nitrogen to give it a high degree of hardness and improved resistance to corrosion.
for Every Application
Ready to start working on a tailor-made solution backed by an industry-leading commitment to long-term support? Our experts are standing by and ready to help you choose the right Aperam products for your specific needs.