Health & Safety
A value for our people, first and foremost.
Safety: Our N°1 Priority
Aperam continuously strives to change mindsets in a sustainable manner.
In order to live up to our promise of becoming a sustainable safe company, we make sure that health & safety guides all our actions and we continue to work on programs to support the health and well-being of our employees. This ambition is reflected in our health & safety roadmap, structured around 3 axes:
- Setting and implementing high standards
- Ensuring a well-functioning and efficient health & safety organisation
- Establishing a true health & safety culture with a high level of maturity and involvement by all Aperam staff
We are convinced that by implementing this roadmap, we are on the way to becoming a sustainable safe company, ahead of competition.
Health & Safety Culture
Building and maintaining a positive health and safety culture helps us and our principal contractors achieve common safety goals.
What is safety culture?
Simply put, a safety culture is “the way we do things around here.” It can also be described as the assumptions, values, attitudes and behaviours related to safety that are shared by a group of people in an organisation. Safety incidents are often associated with failures in safety culture. It is widely accepted that a positive safety culture is vital to achieving excellent safety performance.
What is Aperam doing to improve its safety culture?
We reviewed safety research, lessons from incidents in our industry, and consulted with our people to develop a framework that defines the critical behaviours that characterise a robust safety culture. This framework helps everyone at Aperam understand the behaviours they should and should not display to play their part in strengthening our safety culture.
Why do we focus on behaviours to improve safety culture?
Our efforts to improve safety culture focus on behaviours because we can define, observe and measure them. We also have the right tools and methods to understand behaviour and reinforce the behaviours we know foster a strong safety culture.
Health & Safety Sandards
Together, Aperam’s corporate safety and health standards help prevent workplace accidents and fatalities. As these standards are only effective when properly implemented, we established our Fatality Prevention Standards (FPS) and Fatality Prevention Audit (FPA) as measures for ensuring compliance.
Health: A Local Focus
Due to the diversity of functions, conditions and personnel found across Aperam’s global locations, many of our health initiatives happen at the local level. This strategy ensures that all our standards are tailored to meet the unique health needs of our employees. As a result, every year we see a large variety of local actions happening at each of our units.
Health & Safety Policy
Aperam is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for all of its employees, contractors and stakeholders and to comply with all existing local laws and regulations.
We commit to provide all the necessary resources, such as training, instructions, support and protection, to ensure everyone is properly equipped to work safely. In turn, Aperam expects everyone to contribute to this safe and healthy work environment by adopting “My Code of Behaviour” as their own and strictly applying the “7 Red Rules”.
We are confident that adhering to this Health and Safety Policy WILL lead us to our goal of becoming a “Sustainably Safe Company”.
To continuously enhance the safety of our sites, Aperam has internal initiatives aimed at promoting successful teams and sharing best practices. In addition to these company initiatives, in recent years many sites also competed in local challenges, including:
- 2020 ISSF Safety Award. In the Best Development category, our stainless steel anemometric tower was noted for the many benefits it brings to windenergy farms. Used to measure wind speed in the harsh environmental conditions along the Brazilian coast, the use of stainless steel has proved to significantly increase the tower’s lifespan. The stainless steel solution also reduces maintenance costs, improves safety, and simplifies the manufacturing process. Read more
- 2020 ISSF Safety Award. Our “Think Outside Your Chair!” initiative was noted for its focus on promoting the health and well-being of our employees. The campaign provides employees with quick and easy exercises for preventing injuries, improving posture, increasing flexibility and supplying necessary nutrients to the muscles and brain. Read more
- 2019 ISSF Safety Award. Aperam was recognised with a Safety award at the ISSF Annual Awards ceremony for its “Leave your phone in your locker!” project.
- 2018 ISSF Safety Award . The International Stainless Steel Forum (ISSF) has awarded Aperam its Silver Safety Award. The award, which recognises Aperam’s successful SAFE programme, was awarded during a special ceremony held on 24 May 2018.
- 2017 Health & Safety Awards. In our 2016 Sustainability Report we highlighted the work done by Aperam Genk to reduce accidents and improve controls and safety in transport fleets, with very significant results and some carriers banned. Since then, this programme won the second prize at our annual International Stainless Steel Forum, thanks to its multifaceted approach and engagement with all parties involved. As ISSF commented: ”This is a timely reminder that our safety programmes are not confined only to the plants, but extend outwards along the routes taken by our transport.”
- GESiM’s Special Prize, won in 2016 by a 12 member delegation from the Gueugnon rolling mill for their idea on enhancing the process for changing grinding wheels for rectification.
- The Regional and National Competition organised by the Polish Labour Relation Commission recognises the best safety conditions at work. This year, out of 17 pre-selected finalists, Aperam’s Poland Service Centre took home the prize.
- German BGHW 2016 Prevention Award, given to our German unit for their “Safe working on factory roofs” project. The team was selected from 60 applications.